Monday, January 25, 2010

Lately I am a hungry little caterpillar . . .



Hey guys! It is Monday once again.

So lately I've been eating a bit more than I normally do. Or, I find myself snacking a lot. I take it to be for two reasons:

-The cold weather
-Lack of sleep

People are known to eat more during the winter to keep warm (you know, body fat = heat, and we want to stay warm). In Japan, the culture is more heavily based on baths than showers, which is how they remedy this. If one takes more baths, their body stays warm longer (or at least the heat travels throughout the body and stays longer).
It's weird because I do have the time since I'm still on vacation to make baths, but I often end up taking showers instead. I believe it may be in part of the fact that I don't like having to wait until the tub is full.

Also, lack of sleep. I was watching this one test where a woman who normally sleeps about 4 hours a day was told to sleep 8-9 hours a day instead. What resulted was that this woman, who ate a lot on a normal basis (she ate about 6 FULL meals a day plus snacks) started eating much less and lost some weight. This is due to the fact that when you're sleepy, your brain is more prone to listen to your hormones that tell you you're hungry and that you want to eat. But with sleep, it's easier to block them out. Also when you're sleeping, you're not being active, so you're not doing anything that would make you hungry.

That being said, I haven't been sleeping quite as much. I believe it's due to the fact that my bed has been cluttered this whole time with books and blankets and bears that I often found myself rolling around to find the right spot. Also, being on break means you think you have all the time in the world to do absolutely nothing.

But aha! Yesterday I finally cleaned out my entire bed and pretty much made double the space! And break is near ending. So is winter (well, kinda).

I want to see how these two factors will affect my eating habits. I hate science and yet I find experiments really intriguing. Well, I'll update on how it goes.

If I bored you, I'm sorry. Something better will come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. actually, this is quite interesting because you know I lack sleep Aya. I sleep anywhere on average from 2-3 hours...and I would eat so much more than when I get sleep. Past 3....I've slept a decent 6-7 hours! so it's strange, but I eat less when I get sleep. ahhh. haha
    Ana

    ReplyDelete