Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Oh, and speaking of losses

I forgot but losses reminded me, I saw The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus yesterday, featuring the late Heath Ledger.



I thought it needed to be separate from the last post I made 5 minutes ago because, well, adding it to a post about losses would depress me deeply.

Although this movie surely did not depress me.

If I was to write a summary on this movie, I really wouldn't be able to do such a fair job of it. I missed the first 5 minutes or so, but don't get me wrong, if you miss the first 5 minutes, it's not too dire. But this movie is overall pretty confusing and VERY TRIPPY.
Okay, so confusing in the sense that there were some parts I didn't get (like, maybe the ending and how it resulted into it), but it's more trippy than anything. The Imaginarium is basically about a "traveling theatre troupe" (as Wiki called it), and one day they find Ledger's character, Tony, hanging off a bridge. They save him and soon Tony becomes part of the team. What you don't find out until later is who Tony really is and what his intentions are. The rest of the plot revolves around a wager Dr. Parnassus made with Mr. Nick concerning his daughter Valentina.
This story also takes place between the real world and the imaginary world behind the mirror, which IS the imaginarium.

Okay, so I thought it was fantastic that they actually made and released the film and decided to include the new actors as Heath in the other world. It made sense because nothing made actual sense in this movie's world.

Also, it's pretty hilarious. I love the midget jokes. And Anton was ADORABLE.


Finally, to actually tie this review to what my blog is supposed to be about, I am going to say aesthetically, everything is SO LOVELY. Lily Cole, who also plays Valentina, is also an English model, which explains so well how good everything looked on her. I will say I am really picky when it comes to acting, so alongside veterans she seemed slightly more amateur, but she was good.

In the real world, they all dressed in layers with a plethora of colors and patterns (they were performers afterall).
In the imaginarium, anything went really. Cole was mostly dressed in flowy gowns that showed some skin on top but usually came all the way down to her feet. Ledger's character mostly wore the white suit above (except for when they first found him). Percy (the dwarf) may have had equal or more costume changes than Cole, some of which included ridiculous monkey costumes and a small black boy costume.

Some of Cole's outfits:





Overall I recommend watching it, especially while it's in theaters to get the full effect. And stay until after the credits if you want to hear a certain ringing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment